The Samsung SmartTag is a Bluetooth-powered tracker that works with Samsung phones (and only Samsung phones) as either a way to find lost objects or a trigger button for smart home routines. It was launched in January 2021 and costs $29.99 for a single pack or $49.99 for a two-pack1.
The Samsung SmartTag Plus is an upgraded version of the SmartTag that was released in April 2021. It has both Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and ultra-wideband (UWB) technology, so it can pinpoint the location of the tagged item with greater accuracy. It also uses augmented reality (AR) technology to visually guide the user towards the missing item using the smartphone’s camera. The SmartTag Plus costs $39.99 for a single pack or $64.99 for a two-pack23.
The Samsung SmartTag 2 is the newest iteration of the SmartTag line that was announced in October 2021 and will be available globally on October 10. It has a new compact size and ring-shaped design, and includes metal on the inside of the ring for increased resilience. It also has an IP67 rating for water and dust resistance. The SmartTag 2 has both BLE and UWB technology, like the SmartTag Plus, but it has an improved Compass View feature that shows the direction and distance of the tag in relation to the user, and a new Power Saving Mode that extends the battery life up to 700 days. The SmartTag 2 also costs $29.99 for a single pack or $49.99 for a two-pack456.
All three models of the SmartTag can be attached to everyday items, such as keys, wallets, luggage, pets, etc., and can be located using the SmartThings app on a compatible Galaxy device. They can also be used to control smart devices remotely by pressing a button on the tag. However, they are not compatible with other smartphones or platforms, unlike some of their competitors, such as Tile or Apple AirTags.
The main differences between the three models are:
- The SmartTag Plus has UWB and AR capabilities that make it more precise and easier to find than the SmartTag.
- The SmartTag 2 has a smaller and more durable design than the SmartTag and the SmartTag Plus, and has a longer battery life in Power Saving Mode.
- The SmartTag Plus is more expensive than the SmartTag and the SmartTag 2.
Depending on your needs and preferences, you may choose one of these models to keep track of your important belongings. However, if you do not have a Samsung phone or tablet, you may want to look for other alternatives that are more widely compatible.
- Tile Pro: This is one of the most popular Bluetooth trackers on the market. It has a range of up to 400 feet, a loud alarm, and a replaceable CR2032 battery that can last up to one year. It works with both Android and iOS devices via the Tile app, which also lets you access additional features such as geofencing alerts, smart home integration, and community finding with Tile Premium subscription ($29.99 per year or $2.99 per month). The Tile Pro costs $34.99 for a single pack or $59.99 for a two-pack.
- Apple AirTag: This is Apple’s own Bluetooth tracker that works seamlessly with iPhones, iPads, and Macs via the Find My app. It has UWB technology that enables precise location tracking and AR guidance with compatible devices (iPhone 11 or later). It also uses Apple’s vast network of devices to help you find your items even when they are out of range. It has an IP67 rating for water and dust resistance and a replaceable CR2032 battery that can last up to one year. The AirTag costs $29 for a single pack or $99 for a four-pack.
- Chipolo One: This is a budget-friendly Bluetooth tracker that works with both Android and iOS devices via the Chipolo app. It has a range of up to 200 feet, a loud alarm, and a replaceable CR2032 battery that can last up to two years. It also has some features that are not available on other trackers, such as out-of-range alerts, voice control with Google Assistant or Siri, and selfie mode. The Chipolo One costs $25 for a single pack or $75 for a four-pack.